Social media is a vital part in millions of peoples’ lives. Every day, people invest huge amounts of time checking their feeds and interacting with the content.
As social media rapidly expands its reach across the globe, the power of these networks is growing at a global scale.
The strong influence of social media offers huge potential for businesses looking to reach consumers who are spending ever more time on their favorite social media networks.
But you should avoid building your whole business on social media. Instead, you should aim to drive traffic to your website where you have complete control over how you interact with your audience.
Fortunately, using social media can be an effective way to increase your traffic to your website. In fact, social media can make up a significant amount of your total traffic. But it can sometimes be tricky. To be successful you need to know how to drive traffic with social media. Social media users are often resistant to demonstrations of self-promotion and prefer a more subtle and conversational style. But you still have a business to run. So, you need to get the right balance between meeting business objectives and satisfying social needs.
How does social media generate traffic?
Traffic might come from the social media content itself. People motivated to click on your link represent a direct source of highly targeted traffic to your site. Social media is also a cost-effective way of creating links with lots of new people. It provides a platform for users to discuss your content and share it with others. As people share your content with their own followers, you reach new audiences who trust content they hear about from people they already know.
Alternatively, it might come from search engines. After all Goggle is a big fan of social media. Getting high rankings for your content on Google will substantially drive up traffic to your site. The amount of traffic generated will depend upon the effectiveness of your SEO strategy and which social media networks you are using.
Top tips for targeted traffic generation with social media
Read on for my top tips for generating a large, consistent flow of targeted traffic to your website using social media.
- Choose the right social media networks for your niche. Consider where your target audience spends the most time on social media and focus your efforts on those channels.
- Build up a set of genuine contacts who like and share your content on social media. Ensure you keep track of who they are. Using Twitter lists is useful way to keep your followers organized on Twitter.
- Only share good content. Don’t bombard people with rubbish. Sharing low quality content will make people wary of you. Actually read the content you share to be sure it is good quality. Always prioritize quality over quantity of the content you share.
- Don’t share outdated content. Evergreen content is great to create and share as it does not lose its usefulness over time. However, if you wrote a great post a while back that includes timely content, you can still update the content to ensure continued relevance to your audience.
- Encourage followers to share your content. Don’t be shy. If you created great content, people will be happy to share it. Be direct and confident in your request whilst still being friendly.
- Optimize your content for each social media network. Whilst a maintaining professional tone is expected on LinkedIn, Facebook users are looking for something more light-hearted and fun. Optimize images for each network to ensure they display neatly on that platform. For example, Pinterest has different image sizes to Twitter.
- Only share content that is interesting and relevant to your followers. Adapt the specific message you use so that it is targeted to their needs. For example, if you have a niche list of Twitter followers in the technology field, ensure your Tweets are focused on technology.
- Make it easy for people to share your content. Add social sharing buttons and links to your key social media channels on your website.
- Know the optimum time to send social media updates. Track the location of your followers to work out the best time to get their attention. Once you have more data, use a social media analytics tool to check visibility and engagement with your content at different times of day. From this, work out the best times for sending your social media updates and optimize sending times accordingly.
- Connect with like-minded people. Search for people on social media engaged in your niche. Check out their feed, start a conversation and interact with them.
- Establish mutually beneficial relationships. You could set up an exchange, for example, you promote their content on your social media channels and they promote your content via their networks. It’s a win-win for both parties.
- Deliver brand consistency across your social media channels, and between your social channels and your website. When users land on your website from social media, you need to reassure them that they are in the right place. So, put your logo and brand name in a prominent position on your social media channels so that it matches the look and feel of your website.
What tactics do you use to increase traffic to your website? Share your tips in the comments.
If you are really serious about maximizing your marketing potential, follow me on Twitter @laucocos for my latest insights.